Friday, January 25, 2008

pyramids, swamps, and scams


Blog 1-24-08
Today we went to a small group of ruins that I had never been to. It also had a boardwalk through a swamp and ended up at the shore of the sea. Johari climbed her first pyramid. She at least climbed a few of the steps a few times. She and I went up to the highest part which was a low pyramid. Then along the boardwalk there was a look out tower. I put her in the Ergo and climbed to the top of the lookout tower. It was a beautiful view. A scary descent, but not so bad. Just kind of like climbing up and down a ladder with your kiddo on your back.
Well, I got scammed today and then recovered from the scam. Here is how it went. I went to get gas at the station. And the guy filled it up. I knew that I had two 200 peso bills ready to give him. The other guy who was doing my windows suddenly said the tire on the other side of the car was low and wanted to show me. So I got out of the car to look at it. I had given the guy that pumps the 400 pesos. When I came back around, he showed me a 200 and a 20 as all that I had given him. Thinking maybe I had slipped up somehow and been wrong, I paid him. Then while sitting waiting for air, I realized that I had been ripped off. What was I going to do? What was I going to say? Was I just going to give up? I definitely had a back and forth in my head. Give up and do nothing or don’t let myself be taken advantage of. So I gathered my strength and got a little more pissed at being ripped off and I went back to the guy and told him that I gave him 400 pesos. He immediately gave me back 200. He lost out on 20 pesos in the end.
I have started reading the book Angela’s Ashes by Frank McCourt. Definitely not bursting with joyful moments so far but not overly depressing either. It is interesting.
We are having a 2 Signing Time DVD day since she didn’t get an afternoon nap. Typically, we have been watching Signing Time altogether after dinner sometime. It is nice to get altogether and watch the DVD. Johari makes sure that each person does the signs even if she doesn’t necessarily do it herself. That girl really likes to direct and run the show once she gets comfortable. She gets people to walk and go places and play with her and eat their food and sit in different places and kiss and hold hands and give her all of their olives and strawberries.

No comments: