Monday, March 31, 2008

parks and good fortunes

Walking the dogs in the woods



Pants got wet on the slide!!

This morning we went to a park we had never been to before with Grandpa Marvin and the dogs. McCullomb Park. It is nice because not only can you take a nice walk in the woods, there is a great playground there as well. First, we walked the dog through the woods a bit. Then, we hit the playground. We had the playground to ourselves for a bit and then more and more girls of all ages kept showing up. Johari seemed to want the place for herself. I am not sure what was going on for her there. I guess she had just enjoyed pretend cooking apples for us before the various crews of girls arrived.
Tryin' on Grandpa's gloves

Adventures with lotion!

The other day, I gave Johari a fortune cookie while we were picking up some teriyaki chicken!! She gnawed on it for a bit and then I opened it up for her. Her fortune read...
"You are a leader. Others soon will need your inspiration." I thought that was a great fortune for her to get.
I have begun listening to Naomi Aldort's CD series from series of workshops she did called "Trusting Our Children, Trusting Ourselves." It makes me think about all kinds of stuff concerning my own growth as a child, raising Johari, education, the impact of so many commonly accepted ways of treating children and on and on.
The other day, Johari said "Thank you" when I wiped her snotty nose for her. I couldn't believe it. I mean she REALLY doesn't like getting her nose wiped. But since she has been more snotty lately she has been a bit more accepting of it. In fact she talks about her boogers in her nose now. She informs me when she is aware of having lots of boogers in there. And she has even shown me her nose a few times so I could check them out.
Johari often says she wants to go to the "store" now. When we are out and about or when she is itching to get out. I didn't really think she even liked being in the store that much but apparently I have already passed some materialism on to her. When it is bad weather though, sometimes that is the cheapest outing. We have to hit the parks and beaches and playgrounds more!! I thought we hit them pretty often. Sometimes we have gone to the playground a couple times in the day. Or maybe there is just something fun about the "store".

No comments: