Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Spanish class

Yesterday we had our last Spanish class of the session. Johari was a total clingster every class except in the end of the last one she kind of warmed up and was dancing a bit. Of course!!! And although she hasn't been terribly warm to the class the whole time, she has been into talking about Spanish words. She asks me how to say things in Spanish. Yesterday night she kept singing something over and over from the class. I think it was "a saltar...a saltar..." from a song, "Ahora vamos a saltar...a saltar...a saltar." Luckily there is no class to sign up for over the summer. So I don't have to decide whether it would be a good thing for us to go to. I am glad it has inspired us to talk about Spanish more.
My take on class for Johari is that it is not a particularly natural environment for her. It is a structure that she is not used to. And there are many expectations of talking and performing for people that she does not really know. That's why I figured maybe by the last class she might warm up a little bit. And so it goes...

2 comments:

Stacy Garner said...

i think i heard her singing that as i was falling asleep. it made me smile while dozing off :)

Sarah said...

I went to a spanish school here in Phoenix, Arizona. I prefer the personal contact and I always could ask my teacher and discuss the problems I had.
But learning spanish itself helped me a lot in my career and personal life.