Monday, November 5, 2007

Cooking squash and pumpkin

I was cooking pumpkin and squash today. The thought of cooking pumpkins and eating them for dinner always brings me back to Mma Ramotswe in Botswana. Those days when I was buried in the world of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency. I think of how she always talked of cooking pumpkin for dinner. I wish I knew how she did it. What is Mma Ramotswe's recipe for pumpkin dinner.
We didn't have any playdates or outside contact today. Which makes the day feel a bit lacking. We were used to having a guaranteed visit from friends every day in Chicago. We do get friend visits here and we do try to go visiting across the street but I am not sure what the limitations with that should be. That's what I loved about living at Ruaha School in Tanzania, I could always go visit someone in the community. And that's what I loved about living above my dear friends and family on Monticello, visiting, visiting, visiting, hanging. But with new folks, it is hard to know if they would want us to be stopping by every day to play. We'll figure it out.
I got a run in today. But Johari doesn't want to wear her mittens for very long. In fact this morning on the jog, she took of her mittens, then the blanket and eventually she took off her hat too. Her hands end up so cold. So I am going to try a new product on our next run. Basically like a little sleeping bag that attaches to the stroller.
We ran errands this morning. The Great Harvest Bread Co here doesn't seem to have the same perfect cookie as E-town- oatmeal chocolate chip. I will survive though.
Johari has taken one good long nap the past couple of days. I may be jinxing that as I write this. But 2 1/2 hour nap is nice. And last night she stayed in her crib until at least 3 or 3:30 am. WOW!!! I won't expect a repeat of that tonight but it would be nice. It is hard to believe that I have not slept through a night in almost 16 months. It was something that I really worried about while I was pregnant. But it has been pretty manageable in the end. I wonder how I might be different when I do end up sleeping through the night one day in the next few years.
My dinner menu tonight was chicken soup with barley, mashed squash and pumpkin, and salad with beets in it. My first time cooking dinner since I got here. It was a success. No complaints from the peanut gallery. In fact, they liked it. So success.

No comments: