Friday, March 14, 2008

sewing for the nudist....

I finally did some sewing yesterday. I was inspired to make Johari a jumper. Since she resists getting clothes or diapers on, I figure if there is one item that I can get on her that would be most useful, it would be a jumper. I copied one that she already had. And it turned out pretty cute and it fits! Now I want to make more and more!!! Sewing is very gratifying and fun.



So in this desire not to wear clothes....she decided that her pajamas were hats when I was trying to put them on her. That is as far as they would go.
Then she added the pajama bottoms to the headdress. Welcome into her pajama head fun!


Pants, for what?

I have found though that if we leave the house without various clothing items, she will accept some of them later if she feels cold or something like that. After repeatedly trying to put a shirt on her this morning with no success, when we opened the door to go out for a walk and felt the cool air outside, she turned and accepted the shirt and jumper and sweater.

Eating Mama's sweater

This week Johari had her routine check up with the doctor. She did not dig anything about going to that doctor's appointment. She doesn't wanted to be weighed or measured or touched or listened to by the strangers. In any case, she is more and more of a pipsqueak in the world of percentiles. But I am not going to worry about it tremendously because she seems to be healthy and happy. One of the questions the doctor asks about the milestones is whether she is speaking any words and if so, how many. So on the spot I had no concept and couldn't really calculate. So I responded with 10-15. But then when I was home, I thought about it more and more and was interested to write them down and count them up. And as I have been doing this, I have noticed that she definitely has more than 40 words that she is speaking. And that as I am trying to write them down she is adding more everyday. Then, I was also thinking about how there are different layers of her language...her spoken words, her signs which some overlap and then there are many signs that she uses for words that she does not speak yet, and then there is all of the words that she understands but has no sign and can't speak herself yet. Children acquiring language is such a fascinating thing.
We have been into reading In My Heart by Molly Bang in bed at night. If you have not read it, it is one of my favorites in kids books for Johari's age range. It is great!!! It is about how the mother has her son in her heart throughout everything that she does in her day and everything that he does in his day. At the end of the book, it shows all of the people in the little boy's heart. The other night, after reading this book, Johari and I were discussing who is in her heart. It was so great. She is getting more and more into discussing and signing about things that she sees going on in the book.
I put a figure painting up on our bedroom wall that Ceci did many years ago. I told Johari that Ceci painted it. So now whenever she looks at it, she says "Ceci". And I say, "Ceci painted it, huh?" Johari: "Yeah!" And we can repeat this over and over. She also makes reference to the nyo-nyo's of the figure at times.
We went to a couple of playdates this week and had good times.

No comments: