Thursday, April 17, 2008

towers, friends, and rug store

The other morning while Johari was still asleep, I heard her laugh in her sleep. It was so sweet. I was glad to know that some fun things were going on in her dreamworld.
She has been into building towers lately. Not all the time or anything but focused on working on it when she is.
Stacy, Ishmael, and Ibrahim came to hang out at our house the other day. It was nice to just hang and chill together. Everyone could take naps when they needed and play when needed.
Yesterday, Johari and I went to Grandpa's rug store. We hadn't been there. Johari warmed up to the place and then wanted to run and crawl on the rug piles. She enjoyed it. Rug stores are a good indoor playground...nothing is breakable.
We were at the bookstore the other night. I overheard the woman that works there talking to some kid customers about a bookmark they were looking for. Then I happened to be sitting next to the product later while Johari was playing with the train set. It is a bookmark with a timer on the top of it. Immediately, I was very disappointed by this. Is this what we use to create a love of reading??? Timing the children's reading. I know what it comes from because when I was babysitting for a 2nd grader who was going to a gifted school, I remember that she was supposed to read 20 minutes a night. I just know that something like this timing of reading must be so counterproductive to creating a true love for reading. And that bookmark became a symbol of all that to me.
Here are some pictures from Saturday, the beautifully warm day that we spent with Lua.





toes in the mucky pond by our house


a petite lick of the brownie mix (I took care of most of the licking of the bowl before she got to it)

a video clip at the park

1 comment:

Stacy Garner said...

wow, timed bookmarks? that is absolutely ridiculous. too much control over learning if you ask me.